Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Old Dresser + Chalk Paint = TV Stand

Here is my latest project....


I started with this little gem that was rejected and stored in the shed loft.
One of the top drawers was broken, so I removed them both to make room for electronic gadgets.


After removing the drawer pulls, I gave it a good cleaning before applying the chalk paint.
The chalk paint recipe I use is this:

3 parts latex paint (I have found a paint with primer works best)
1 part plaster of paris (diluted with an equal amount of hot water)

For example, if I use 1 1/2 cups paint, I would need 1/2 cup plaster of paris that has been diluted with 1/2 cup hot water. Mix these together thoroughly and you're ready to paint! 

For this job I only needed two coats. I like to use a foam roller for the larger flat surfaces and a brush for the corners and curvy places. 

When the paint was dry I protected the surface with SC Johnson Paste Wax. If you can't wait to wax, you may end up rubbing off some of your paint, giving it a light distressed look. By giving it some time to dry the paint should stay in place. I think I waited about 30 minutes after it appeared to be dry before waxing. There was one small edge where the paint rubbed off a tiny bit.

The color is Valspar's Rattan Palm. Because of the chalk paint mixture, it turned out a bit lighter than the actual paint. I covered the inside with a neutral paint sample I found on the oops-paint shelf.

 Brian drilled some holes for wires.


We braced the shelf where the dvd player and Wii will sit with a couple boards from the scrap pile. Brian cut them to fit and we glued them to the sides of the dresser and under the shelf.

Okay - here is what the TV sat on before....
...all chrome and glass contemporary-ness that I never really liked.


Here it is today!


I love how the gadgets rest so neat and tidy inside the cubby.
The drawers are filled with remotes, game controllers, games, manuals, and other assorted junk no one ever wants to look at everyday! The color is about three shades darker than the walls, so blends in nicely.

This project cost me less than $20!


I'm such a geek I just sat on the couch without the TV on to stare it for awhile.
So pretty.

P.S. Did you notice the little boo-boo I made? I thought it was so hilarious I decided to leave it and see if anyone points it out.

Thanks for stopping by today!
Calista @ A House and Yard

Home Stories A2Z  http://salttree.net/  Lil\'Luna    Grace at Home      Mustard Seed Creations Furniture Feature Friday  Shine on Friday      Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150
Calista @ A House and Yard

21 comments:

  1. Love it and I may try your chalk paint recipe! What do you think makes chalk paint better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thanks! The main benefit to chalk paint is that the prep is so easy. Simply clean and you're good to go. No sanding! It has a different look and feel than regular paint, so it depends on what look you're going for. If you like the distressed look, chalk paint is easy to distress with light sanding after your paint dries. Have fun experimenting! Let me know what you come up with; I'm sure you'll blog about it.... :-)

      Delete
  2. :-D I see the mistake! But I'm looking with my mom's artist eyes, so....

    But this is a gorgeous project and I have been contemplating something similar for my own place once I get to move again, etc. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! Yes, your mom definitely would have caught my little boo-boo. Clearly, I wasn't paying attention. Eventually it'll bother me enough to change it.

      Delete
  3. Yay! And next time we try the irish jig, we won't almost knock over your tv :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an improvement! I love reusing furniture in ways it wasn't necessarily intended. We have a dresser/media stand, too. It looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome!! That is much better than the glass/chrome. I saw the mistake (I think)...but I won't spoil it for those who are still trying to figure it out. I need to come see it - and you need to come see my "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am, we are in dire need of a get-together!

      Delete
  6. Love it! You are so creative!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A girl after my own heart Great work, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Appreciate you taking time to stop by!

      Delete
  8. I wish I could pin this. Didn't see a pintrest button. I love how the Message Bible verse goes along with the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thanks for stopping by. Sorry you couldn't pin it. I always use the "Pin It" bookmark on my browser when I want to pin something from a blog or website. However, this lets me know I should figure out how to embed the "Pin It" button in my posts. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  9. A really smart upcycle! Your new A/V dresser (that's what I'm calling it!) looks great. And that price is unbeatable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richella, for stopping by. "A/V Dresser" - I like it!

      Delete
  10. the perfect repurpose, and a great way to hide some uglies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Paint is truly the miracle worker, isn't it?

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!