Thursday, July 4, 2013

How to Make a Brick Walkway

I am extremely excited to share a big project with you today!


We finally put to use the bricks our neighbor gave us ... for free ... and made a lovely brick walkway out front. I did a little research online before starting, then we jumped on in. Here's how it went.

1. We measured the width and length for the walkway, using stakes and twine to mark the area.
I would recommend deciding on the pattern for your bricks before you decide on the width of your path. This will insure that your bricks will fit inside the designated area.
*ahem* I may or may not have done that myself, but would highly recommend you do it.


2. We went 15 feet out from the bottom of the stairs in order to make a nice boundary for the extra parking. The existing blocks were removed before the digging began.

3. Brian and Silas dug out a nice bed for the walkway. You will want to make it deep enough to make your bricks even with the grass level, so take into account the size of your bricks and the layer of sand you will spread before laying the bricks.

4. After all that digging you should take a break. It's hard work.

5. Before proceeding with the next step, call the crew foreman to inspect your work.

6. To prepare for laying the bricks, spread a nice bed of sand about an inch thick in your path. We worked in sections of about a yard each. As you can see, I placed the bricks fairly close together. Wiggle the bricks into the bed of sand to make them fit securely.

7. Here's a look at the progress. I decided to alternate my main pattern with a random pattern because there weren't enough bricks to do the entire thing with my main pattern. I love the patchwork look!
Continue laying bricks until your new walkway is filled.

8. After we finished laying the bricks, we filled in the sides with dirt. I used a two by four to pack it down tightly.

9. Next, dump generous shovels full of sand on your new fancy walk and rub it in using a broom. The goal is to work in as much sand as possible between the cracks. To aid in settling, after the first layer is done lightly spray with water before applying another layer of sand. This part of the process took quite a while to get enough sand in the cracks, so take your time.

10. We were expecting some rain, so I left plenty of extra sand on the surface.
Over the next couple weeks, I swept more sand into the cracks every few days. The hot summer sun has baked the sand into a nice hard seal around the bricks.

TaDa!!! New brick walkway!

Just for fun I decided to make a raised bed at the end of the walk. It seemed like there needed to be a destination at the end, ya know?

I stacked two layers of these funny-shaped bricks and filled it with potting soil and dirt that was dug out to make way for the brick path.

 And now, here are entirely too many pictures of my new brick walkway.
I am totally infatuated!



To me, it looks like the brick walk has been in front of the house since it was first built in 1890!

I hope you find these instructions helpful if you're thinking about installing a brick walkway in your yard. The entire process took several hours of work for three days with my husband, son, and myself doing the labor.

Happy Independence Day!

I will walk about in freedom, 
for I have sought out your precepts.
Psalm 119:45 NIV

God Bless America!


Linking to these sites:
Lil\'Luna Elizabeth and Co.  Shine on Friday  Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150Yellow Bliss RoadHome Stories A2Z  Marty's Musings Grace at Home Ivy and Elephants Remodelaholic   

34 comments:

  1. You SHOULD be infatuated...and pleased and proud and ecstatic and overjoyed and . . . It looks great! I got tired just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how awesome! I just love brick walkways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The walkway looks fabulous! A LOT of hard work! But so worth it.
    Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such sweet comments.
    I look forward to you linking, and I am your new follower!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely walkway! It adds such character to your home. Thanks for stopping by highpointcircle.blogspot.com I appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! The walkway looks great and it really does fit the house. I think the flower bed is a great ending point too! Have a nice day, Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  6. The transformation is amazing. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. Yes, I absolutely love the new look!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for linking to Home{wprk} Wednesday! You're one of my top 3 favorites and I'm featuring you on my facebook page and top 3 favorites post. Hope you'll link up again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty. Thank you so much for featuring my post!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on a job VERY well done--that sidewalk looks as if it's always been there! Love that!

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home. I featured you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the featuring my post and for your kind comments! Isn't it so freeing to know that sometimes things don't have to be perfect or look new to fit? Takes some pressure off in the doing....

      Delete
  9. I love all the outdoor posts---I feel like I can live vicariously. God bless America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Add yard timbers to separate the yard and parking area, a little more grass would make the yard look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this came out so great!!! i love the flower garden at the end. thank you so much for linking up to the before and after party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! featuring on the blog tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up to support Habitat4Humanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jocie. Thank you for featuring my sidewalk project!

      Delete
  13. Hi Calista~

    I love your new brick walkway! It turned out absolutely gorgeous, and you all should be SO proud! We are going to be putting in a cobblestone pathway, and your tutorial will come in handy. I didn't know about adding the sand on top after making the path! :)

    I hope you have a lovely Friday!

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I just did this very similar project in my front yard. Only... we're not done with ours yet.
    But yours gives me inspiration and encouragement to finish!
    love it. The flowers , like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, are a wonderful touch.
    Our car park is right out front...so having our bricks brought up out of the dirt and raised, so the water wouldn't stand there...is important. We're not getting much rain right now...just an abundance of HOT! So...it will be finished in the fall.

    looks good! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an amazing post I seen on account of offer it. It is genuinely what I expected to see trust in future you will continue in sharing such an awesome post. Soil Recycling

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I just did this very similar project in my Garden.First Shovel a thin layer of masonry sand or stone dust over the top of the bricks. Using a large push broom, sweep the sand into the joints between the bricks (as shown). Wet the path with a hose to settle the sand, then brush more wet sand into the cracks until they are packed tightly and filled to the surface.brick pointing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. local law 11 contractor NY

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!