Friday, October 26, 2012

Painted Nightstand

31 Days of Order - Day 26

I am happy to show you the little nightstand I painted. Here is what it looked like before.


I picked up an oops quart at Lowe's in a lovely berry knowing at the time I could certainly use it for something! This is the first time I tried painting furniture, so I kept it simple. It seems that practically everyone is using chalk paint, which I had never heard of before I started blogging. Awhile back I wrote down a chalk paint recipe from somebody's blog. My apologies to whoever it belongs to; I honestly can't remember where I found it. The recipe is as follows:

1 part dry plaster of paris + 1 part water and mix together, then stir into 3 parts paint of your choice and mix well. It blended like a dream. My paint was a semi-gloss latex.

I removed the hardware. After cleaning all the surfaces, I lightly sanded the entire piece.

I used a good angle brush for the corners and curvy parts, and a foam roller for the flat areas. The first coat was very light, so I went over it again for full coverage. The paint went on excellently, covered well, and dried quickly. I let it sit over night, then the next day I used Johnson's paste wax for a nice sheen.

Now - I know that practically every chalk paint project I have seen gets a light sanding after all this for a distressed look. Well, please don't stone me, but I don't really like how that looks. So, I didn't distress.

Without further ado, here's my redone piece....




The little knobs I picked up at Pier One on clearance. $0.98 each! Oh yeah!!



So, there you have it! I have moved it into my room and will continue putting together 
the pieces for my own little study nook in my room.

Thanks for visiting today!

* * * * * * * * * * *

This post is part of my 31 Days of Order series. See the rest of the posts here
To find other bloggers also writing for 31 Days this month on a variety of topics, click here.

Linking to....

Saturday Nite Special link party via Funky Junk Interiors












    
     


19 comments:

  1. Great Job Calista! Beautiful!

    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Wow, I love the way it came out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Great color.
    How much longer until you're brave enough to help me with my piano? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I guess we need to talk about that, don't we? :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. For me, because I wanted to try something different. It seemed like a good way to go because the prep and drying times are shorter than other paint types.

      Delete
  5. Adorable! I don't like distressing either - so no stoning from me :) Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the color. great job. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the change is amazing!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I just did a similar piece; did you wax it or use poly or anything?? Thanks for any info! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping by. I used Johnson's paste wax for the finish and simply followed the instructions on the can. Super easy.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!