Friday, October 5, 2012

That Darned Litter Box

31 Days of Order - Day 5

Okay - you're either going to crack up laughing or be totally grossed out by this one. (How's that for an intro?)

An issue that has bothered me from day 1 is where I have to put the litter box in this house. There is no basement and no attached garage for our indoor kitties to take care of business. The litter box sits in the laundry room, which in most cases wouldn't be so bad except that our laundry room is right off the kitchen. Rrrrrrr. I have changed litter a few times and finally settled on a particular brand that takes care of the smell very well as long as the box is kept clean.

But, I still have to look at it! I don't like looking at it!

Here it is in all it's glory....

One morning I was minding my own business, checking my email as usual and clicked on the message from Groupon. Up pops a whopping discount on an item that promises to make my house litter free in a month or less! Of course, I clicked over to see the details and checked the product website. I started feeling giddy inside and couldn't help chuckling while remembering scenes from the movie, "Meet the Parents."


After consulting the children who happened to be looking over my shoulder at the computer screen, I did it. I bought the kit.

Litter box. Your days are numbered.

Cat re-training starts Monday. I will definitely keep you up to date!

In the event this doesn't work, I have a plan B. Remember the little cabinet under the sink? The litter box will go in there. I could use the floor space and it would keep the box out of sight.

I found some creative cat box cubbies online in case I decide to go that route instead.

Source: houzz.com via Calista on Pinterest

Source: houzz.com via Calista on Pinterest

Source: houzz.com via Calista on Pinterest

Ummmm - maybe I'll just take this whole laundry room instead....
Source: houzz.com via Calista on Pinterest

What's the craziest thing you've ever done to bring order to an area of your home that really bothered you? What do you think about the "litter free" home idea? Think it'll work? Have you or someone you know tried it? How did it go? Leave your comments please!!!

* * * * * * * * * * *

This post is part of my 31 Days of Order series. See the rest of the posts here
To find other bloggers also writing for 31 Days this month on a variety of topics, click here.
* * * * * * * * * * *


This post is not a product endorsement. I was not paid or given anything in return for mentioning the product. I simply saw something that amused me and I thought I'd give it a try.

10 comments:

  1. Instead of bringing order, i feel like we are always doing the opposite for the things we love. In Colorado we had a TINY house, so I let tyler have his drumset in the middle of the living room! Here, We have snoopy's kennel in my living room... i tried to disguise it with a cloth on top of it, doesn't disguise it. seems like a litter box would be easier to hide. maybe after you figure out how to hide your litter box you can help me with the kennel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Maybe you could get a table top to put over Snoopy's kennel and put it in the dining area! It could work!

      Delete
  2. My mom had a cat that "trained" itself, weirdest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?!? Wow, now that is weird. I hope my kitties take to it that easily.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! We tried the same thing with Miss Mittens and you "lure the kitty to the bowl with catnip" I may have the only cat that doesn't like catnip, so it didn't work for us. We are now in a similar problem as her old litter box is in need of replacing which we have done but she doesn't like the new one. So now we have 2 boxes in our tiny bathroom and have been advised that if we let the old box get vile she will want to use the fresh new one. Here's hoping it happens soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan!! Yup - that's the one! My cats like catnip, so maybe it will help. Although, Snickers gets pretty crazy over catnip. I hope she remembers to come back to the potty after she does flips around the house a few times!!

      Delete
  4. We put our cat outside or she has a litter box in the garage but in the winter when it's snowing and freezing in the garage, we let her do her business in the laundry room too! I hate it too! Let me know how it works

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of this before, and I think it could be a great idea. For somebody else. It kinda grosses me out to think of using the same toilet as the cat... Or maybe the cat gets its own bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marytoo - I hear you on that concern. I thought of it, as well. There are plenty other bathrooms in the house. Since this one is right off the kitchen, the toilet is rarely used. I figured I would have antibacterial cleaning wipes ready if it needed to be used. However, I will ALWAYS direct guests to the other bathrooms in the house.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!