Friday, October 19, 2012

Think I'll Just Sit A Spell

31 Days of Order - Day 19


Let my soul be at rest again, 
for the LORD has been good to me.
Psalm 116:7 NLT


After getting up this morning and seeing off those who were leaving for the day, I sat down with my coffee and realized I was very tired. Thinking about it made me realize this was one of those weeks where I went from thing to thing during the day as well as having evening commitments. Today was the first day in several that I didn't have to be somewhere.

So I decided to sit. I read devotions. I read blogs. Spent more time on Facebook than usual and even played a couple games. There were a handful of chores I managed to take care of, but for the most part, I sat. It was lovely.


While sitting at the computer this afternoon, I remembered an email I had from Photobucket and decided to do some exploring. It was fun and not too difficult to find my way around.

Did you notice the new banner at the top of my blog? I made it myself using Photobucket! If you're reading in an email or reader, I hope you'll click over to see my handiwork.

I have wanted a pretty banner for awhile; the other one was dreadfully plain. Other blogs have beautiful banners, but it hadn't occurred to me before to make it myself. Creating is another thing that brings rest to my soul.


At times, part of keeping order is making sure we are rested. Of course, this can mean different things to people. For some it might be sleep, reading a book or magazine, taking a leisurely walk, watching TV or listening to music.

Maybe your need for rest is more than physical and it's time to cozy up to the God of the universe. Time spent in prayer and reading His Word is never wasted. God loves you and wants you to give Him your worries. He gives rest and peace in return.


Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and 
carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 
Matthew 11:28 NLT


Whatever it looks like for you, I encourage you to make some time to rest.

When you get the chance to rest, what do you like to do?


* * * * * * * * * * *

This post is part of my 31 Days of Order series. See the rest of the posts here
To find other bloggers also writing for 31 Days this month on a variety of topics, click here.


6 comments:

  1. I have a problem with feeling guilty when I "rest" - meaning I'm not working around the house or not writing. Any help to get over that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My motto regarding those nagging thoughts? "I don't do guilt." You can't allow your mind to take that guilt-trip and if it does you tell it otherwise - taking those thoughts captive, right? To get over it you might have to start scheduling downtime into your plan for the day. Make an appointment with yourself to do nothing or whatever, then keep it! I don't know about you, but sometimes my body just tells me to stop and take a break.

      Delete
  2. Lovely new banner! Everybody needs a day of rest! So glad you enjoyed yours.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!