Saturday, October 27, 2012

Finishing

31 Days of Order - Day 27

Not quite sure where to start today. Our family activities were of rather a personal nature. Let me back up a little bit.

I am the oldest of three children and have two brothers. Mid-January this year, my brother just younger than me gave up in his struggle with alcoholism. We did all the things you do back in January and my mom kept his remains until we were ready for the next step.


She made arrangements at the cemetery where her folks are buried. Our state and the cemetery allows family to bury their loved one's remains with very little intervention. We were able to do this as a family - me, my brother, mom, dad, and step-mom. It was a precious gift.



The passing of time made this a relaxed event. The chitchat was mostly family memories.




After replacing the sod, we headed back to my house for lunch with the rest of the family.


I know our way of handling this wasn't typical, but it was good for us. Very good. It was time to finish. Time for closure.

In the natural order of things, there is always a finish, or there should be. A project half done. An unfulfilled promise. A deed thought yet not carried out. These little nags nip away leaving regret, guilt, condemnation.

The only way to fight back is to finish something! Pick one and get it done. Then, make a plan for the rest of the list. The energizing boost in confidence spurs you on to greater success.

Have a wonderfully blessed Lord's Day!

What will you finish this week? Share your list....

* * * * * * * * * * *

This post is part of my 31 Days of Order series. See the rest of the posts here
To find other bloggers also writing for 31 Days this month on a variety of topics, click here.


6 comments:

  1. Very touching post. I was writing about grief today as well. Not my own, just grieving with those who are grieving. Bless your Family, and I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking time to read and comment, as well as your kind words for my family.

      Delete
  2. A very precious post, Calista. Thank you for sharing this special day. Linda @paperseedlings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a special post documenting a very special closure in your life.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!