Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Space of My Own

31 Days of Order - Day 2

One very important aspect of order in my life comes from having a private space of my own. In this space I like to read, study, pray, and write. It needs to be a quiet place, free from distractions. This is where I connect with God, get focused, or simply sit still.

In our old house my space was in the school room. Since I only have one student left, we didn't feel the need to dedicate an entire room to the school stuff. This hasn't been a problem. Silas gets his school done very nicely at the dining room table. However, it left me without a room.

We have been in our house - what - 9 1/2 months now and I still haven't carved out a quiet corner for myself! I've been a nomad in my own home. I've carried my Bible and notebook from the sunroom to the living room  to my bed, the dining room and back again. What is my deal? It's time! A designated space is imperative to my spiritual and mental well being.

My little corner will be in our bedroom. At the moment there are books stacked on a cabinet beside the bed.


This is the destination and it is in dire need of attention. Since this picture was taken all but two boxes have been removed and the lawn chair replaced with a well-worn recliner.


The chair faces the TV which is nice if I want to watch a message on DVD during my quiet time.

The plan for ordering my quiet space includes this little guy. 
It was in Silas' room, but he put it in the shed. I'm going to try my hand at furniture painting. 
It's place will be next to the recliner so I have a spot for a lamp, 
my books, pencils, markers, and a cup of coffee.

What's the point? It is important to have a space that you consider your personal sanctuary. True - God is with you wherever you decide to be. The advantage to having a designated place is conditioning. You know that when you go to that spot, you will meet God. You will pray. You will be renewed in spirit. You will be changed. It's already comfortable, you know what to expect, and it's easier to focus.

Don't have a space yet? Get one!


Do you have a special place in your home where you like to read or write or study? Where is it? If not, what could you do to make one? Please leave your comment below.



* * * * * * * * * * *
The rest of this week I'll focus on some of my goals for getting things in order. Remember - I told you I'm not an expert. I'm writing this because I am in a process and maybe you are to. We could all use the moral support. Thanks for reading!

* * * * * * * * * * *

This post is part of my 31 Days of Order series. See the rest of the posts here. To find other bloggers also writing for 31 Days this month on a variety of topics, click here.

8 comments:

  1. I love your book stack! Very nice! I have a spot...and it is sweet. Whenever it gets messy I get stressy. OK, just stressed but I like rhyming!
    Can't wait to see your sweet spot come to fruition with the table post paint! ARen't we all in process! Oh, Lord have mercy- YES! Praying for you to abide in Him as you order and enjoy the process of creating your sacred space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Whenever it gets messy I get stressy." Love it! Me, too! Thank you for the prayers. I am excited about painting the little side table. It's going to be so cute.

      Delete
  2. I have struggled with my "own" space too - I relate to the nomad life! Ahhh...as I write this, I just thought of something. Child #4 is away in a dorm for the school year. His room is unoccupied - waiting for his return this summer. An eight-month lease on that room sounds perfect. Thanks for making me think about this! Upstairs room - here I come. And, I also put some things away in the living room tonight in my efforts for more "order" in my life. Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny - an eight month lease on a room in your own home! Love it! Sounds like a devo waiting to happen, my writing buddy!

      Delete
  3. I love your idea. Don't forget to post a picture of your finished space!
    (Do I see a pink gel pen tucked into your notebook? Those colored gel pens are my favorites!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I will definitely post about the finished space. With 31 days to fill with something, I may write about it in stages! :-) And yes - I have lots of colored gel pens. Why scribble with black when there is wonderful color?

      Delete
  4. I've had various "me spots" in the 18 years we've been in this house, currently we have two smaller dining tables that we push together when we have guests, but the rest of the time it's just us, so I use the one table and the other is for eating at.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!