Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Procrastination is a Four-Letter Word

31 Days of Order - Day 9

Nothing will sink your boat faster, build those walls higher, dig the pits deeper, or make the snag in your best sweater longer than procrastination.

Source
Is it just me? Why is it that I'd rather not do the dishes now, even though I've got the time. It seems I'd prefer to wait to do them before bed when I'm tired and would really rather sit to read awhile. The dishes get done while groaning, "Why didn't I do these earlier?" And so on and so forth. Blah, blah, blah. Most of us know the song and we don't care for it all that much.

During this month of order, procrastination is the "evil genius" I intend to do battle with and obtain victory over. Please tell me I am not in this alone.

Here are a few quotes I've rustled up from various places on the internet. I cannot vouch for their accuracy, but they make the point clear. Read and be inspired to go forth and conquer! Do it now!


My evil genius Procrastination has whispered me 
to tarry 'til a more convenient season. 
- Mary Todd Lincoln 


It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end.
- Leonardo da Vinci


God has promised forgiveness to your repentance, 
but He has not promised tomorrow to your procrastination.
- Augustine of Hippo

In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do 
is the right thing to do. 
The worst thing you can do is nothing. - Theodore Roosevelt


Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. 
- William James

Procrastination is opportunity's assassin.  - Victor Kiam

Is procrastination something you struggle with? If not, what pointers do you have for the rest of us? (Please be gentle.) :-)


* * * * * * * * * * *

This post is part of my 31 Days of Order series. See the rest of the posts here
To find other bloggers also writing for 31 Days this month on a variety of topics, click here.





8 comments:

  1. It is funny. I am not much of a procrastinator, (maybe with laundry!), but my sister is the QUEEN of it and always has been. I think it is ione of the things that makes her "her". I get calls last minute for things all the time. i hate to rush on things, so i find if I wait, I get stressed and rushed which for me is not good. But my sister seems to thrive on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To a certain extent, I get into the last minute rush. Mostly, it just makes me cranky and is to be avoided if at all possible.

      Delete
  2. Timers. Sure you can sit down and read for 20 minutes now. But then, get up and get your dishes done. Absolutely, you can set the timer for 15 minutes and do art, but then, get up and take care of the kitchen floor.

    I am a terrible procrastinator of house work. I'm good on work stuff and personal stuff by breaking things down into manageable chunks. But housework man, it kills me, kills me dead. The timer is the only way to go. And sometimes it works to set the timer and say, I am going to spend 30 minutes cleaning up this room and then I'm going to get some cookies started. And then in between baking times, I'm going to keep working on this room.

    Just don't come to my house to see how effective my strategy is. It really only works for me when the house has gotten to the point that it will eat me and my family if left further unchecked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how the strategies we use on the kids also work on us? Sometimes. Oh, and I can definitely understand the people-eating house concept! Ha! Thanks, Linda!

      Delete
  3. I like to hide my procrastination in excuses. (Ouch! Hurts to admit that.) I say I am too busy, etc. I just have to work at being a more effective manager of my time and priorities. And learn that some things have to be let go sometimes.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read something a while back that I'm trying to do to get things done. It's called the TWO MINUTE RULE. If there is something that needs done, and I can do it in 2 mins or less, I DO IT - RIGHT THEN! It's a cool thing to try. I've gotten lots of "stuff" put away around the house using the TWO MINUTE RULE. Thanks to whoever wrote it in whatever magazine I was reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!