Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Finish. With Joy.



I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 
--John 17:4 NIV

But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. 
--Acts 20:24 NKJV


These words challenged me this morning.
Finish.  With joy.

Too often I start something, then don't finish.  Or I finish, but there certainly isn't any joy in it because it was harder than I thought.  

I am not a runner by any means, but I know people who are.  From what they have told me, crossing the finish line brings with it a thrill that makes the work, the sweat, the puking, and the pain all worth it.  

And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame.   
--Hebrews 12:1b-2 NLT


These words give me a pretty healthy dose of perspective.  There is nothing I have to do that compares on the challenges scale with what Jesus endured for me.  Certainly not my little projects.  Neither does being a wife, a women's ministry leader or even homeschooling.

My goal?  
> To finish what I start
> To finish with joy
> To not be a grouch between the starting and the finishing

4 comments:

  1. What a lesson for me today. Giving up is not an option!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I can totally relate, especially since the Lord has had many of the same verses before me in the last month!

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    www.moretobe.com / www.pnpcoaching.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!