Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chocolate Marshmallow Cake

Hello there chocolate lovers!  Today I am linking with the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Moms Crazy Cooking.

Photobucket

This month's challenge is chocolate cake.  I found the recipe for Chocolate Marshmallow Cake here and got started this afternoon.  Here's the recipe without adjustments:


Chocolate Marshmallow Cake



2 cups boiling water
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, use high quality
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
18 HUGE marshmallows or twice as many large marshmallows


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Grease large mugs that are oven safe. The ones I used are about 5-6 inches in diameter. You could use just regular cake pans if need be, but the mugs are more fun.


In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.


Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at time, scraping down after each addition. Beat in vanilla.


Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared mugs (about ¾ of the way up…maybe less).


Place three marshmallows in the middle of the cake. Place the mugs on a baking sheet…the marshmallow will spill over…it’s okay, makes for a nice effect. You will want to put tin foil over the cake as the marshmallow will brown too much otherwise…make sure you tent the foil as opposed to wrapping the cake pan in it. Loose is your friend (yes, that sounds bad  )


The baking time is going to vary based on your mug or pan size. If you are just doing cake pans it will be about 30 minutes. My mugs were smaller, but much deeper and took about 50 minutes to bake. You just need to watch and see.


Remove from oven and push another three marshmallows into the cake. Either put under a broiler for a minute or two or use a culinary torch to melt them a little. Serve warm.


* * * * * * *

I didn't want a huge cake, so I cut the recipe half.  As you can see the halved recipe was still too much for a single cake pan.  Part way through the baking process the batter started spilling over the sides.  Good thing I put the pan on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. 


Doesn't it look amazing?!!  Chocolate lava....


Also, I had to use regular large marshmallows, because I didn't have the jumbo size on hand.  I just shoved the marshmallows all over the top of the cake.  Here it is out of the oven the first time and before adding the extra marshmallows....


And here we are after the final trip in the oven under the broiler.  As you can see below, one of the marshmallows got alittle burnt.  Anybody else besides me like their marshmallows torched at a bonfire?


This is by far the best scratch chocolate cake recipe I have tasted with or without marshmallows.  Very chocolaty.  Moist.  Great texture.  Mmmmmm.....


 I think it's worth another try, don't you?
I am linking with....



 

And if this wasn't enough....  

21 comments:

  1. Drats! Just when I had a renewed passion to eat healthy. Oh well...into every life some chocolate must come! Gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out. I know you'll love it!

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it. Great idea to use the parchment paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the recipe. It was fun and the family loved it!

      Delete
  3. I think we should make this treat on our girls weekend!! It looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! And we must eat it practically the moment it comes from the oven...delicious!

      Delete
  4. This is the coolest cake! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so... my birthday is june 20th. in case you wanted to write that down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious. I love the way it spilled over the side of the pan. What a great way to taste before serving. I'm going to have to make this cake this weekend (chocolate cake never gets old).

    Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the spilled over part, too. It may look like an accident, but with chocolate cake it's pretty hard to go wrong.

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious even with the lava flow.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fantastic. I love when things overflow so I get to sample guilt free. This is really spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I checked out your Red Velvet Cake...looks beautiful and delicious.

      Delete
  9. I just love this recipe it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen
    #7
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you took pictures of the over flowing cake. It has happened to me more times than I'd like to admit. The cake sounds delicious despite its unruliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no hiding the overflow, was there? Sometimes baking, like life, is messy. :-)

      Delete
  11. Your cake looks delicious. I <3 marshmallows!

    Jen #79

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know many people who don't like a burnt marshmallow! This looks like the perfect cake to bring back memories of camping :) Great Post! Stop by and visit me, I'm #62

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!