Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bookcases Revealed

Earlier this month I wrote about a new word I had learned and my goal to get this place organized after moving in right before Christmas and the New Year.  One of my projects was a place for the books.  There must be a place for the books, right?  Well, here you go!  This is what it looks like today!  It covers almost the entire wall between my son's bedroom door and the entryway.  








To my chagrin, I couldn't center everything because of the thermostat box.  However, I thought I was pretty clever to do the measurements and cut an opening for it to stick through the back.



But, I'm getting ahead of myself here.  Upon putting them against the wall, I rediscovered the wonkiness of our floors.  Not only were they not level, but they wouldn't sit side by side without gaps between.  My husband attached them to each other.  The units became one, so to speak, and I was able to attach the trim pieces.


I painted the inside backs a pretty, bright blue.  Made cutouts for the thermostat and electrical outlets on either side.  In the meantime, I had begun the process of sorting and bringing over books from the other house.  There are years and years of schoolbooks to sort, keep, or giveaway!  Not to mention, the other books we need. (And I do mean need!)





^ The picture above is before trim pieces.

< Here's a shot of the trim piece I attached to the tops of the bookshelves.  I just used Liquid Nails to do the job.  I attached plain trim at the center of the units to make it look more like one piece rather than two.  Also, I put thin molding at the base to make the unit appear more uniform since the bottom edges of the tall and short cases were different.







The left side is for

school books,

music,

and some old favorites....




On the right side are Bibles, reference books, study guides, non-fiction, and the grandkids books and toys.
Just so you know, this isn't all my books.  But I didn't really want the shelves in the main room to be overflowing.  There will be more upstairs in my room when I get another shelf put together.  My dad and I are working on a knock-off of one I saw in World Market that turns like a lazy susan with a full-length mirror on one side and shelves on the other!  I am super-excited about that one!!



This beautiful glass handmade candleholder is a housewarming gift from my sister-in-law.
Isn't it lovely?  One of her friend makes these.



Thanks for visiting today and have a lovely week!


I am linking to....




  Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. That is a LOT of books! Love the vintage Alice in Wondnerland!

    Thanks for sharing at Simply Klassic Home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping by, Kristin. Alice belonged to my mom. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm a book lover too. You did a fantastic job displaying all your treasures. I'm a new follower, so I don't miss out...Stop by and follow back, so we can keep in touch, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Love the photo shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great upgrade! I love the color in the back..and I love all of the vintage books. And that glass piece is so cool! Thank you so much for linking up to the challenge! Karah

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i am just drooling over your bookshelves! beautiful! i need bookshelves eventually, i have books just stacked all through my house, in the playroom, in my bedroom, in the office, in my closet... it's rather depressing, they do not get the respect they deserve. i'm so impressed with the cutouts to make them mesh with the wall and work with the thermostat! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to have good storage for books, isn't it? Love the turquoise in back. Really wish I'd painted the backs of my shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old books and your collection is fantastic! I just donated 10 boxes (sob) when I cleaned out my basement. Your piano is amazing - I just found a great little piano stool just like yours. Thanks so much for joining our challenge!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the books and the way you have displayed them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great storage. Our books are strewn about the house!

    Thanks so much for joining our Impossibilities challenge!

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!