Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes....

The last week flew by in a flurry of activity.  
Isn't it funny how life's rhythm beats chaotically at times,
 carrying us along almost against our will.  
The "must do's" overtaking the "want to do's."  


Last week I had to do something difficult.  For the last decade, I have been involved with an arts organization as an actress, singer, stage manager, assistant director, writer and office manager.  It was my privilege to work with and be taught by some extremely talented people in the process.  We performed in churches, on streets, in homeless shelters, libraries, nursing homes, schools and a couple show seasons in an historic movie theatre.


Last week, we had to close.  The board of the organization decided to shut it down.  It was a shock -- but not.  Finances were tough.  Worse than tough.  Years of accumulation had to be packed and moved, or displayed to be sold.  
For those of us deeply involved in this organization it was an extremely emotional task.  How do you just stop doing something all of a sudden and move on when you've been doing it for so long?
My friend, mentor, and our fearless leader said that it feels like she'll never do theatre again.  My response was that "never" is a very long time.  
I know that many people the last several years have been faced with losing a job, having to change careers, or been forced into a life-change for one reason or another.  Questions about the future dominate the thoughts.  It appears dark.

While considering these things, my reading last night took me to Psalm 112.  Verse four reads, in part:

Light arises in the darkness for the upright....

Light arises.  The dawn comes.  His mercies are new.  The Light.  Jesus.  God's Word.
There is hope.  We are not alone in this journey.
For this fact I am truly grateful.

How have you been encouraged to carry on when the future seems dark?

4 comments:

  1. great, now i have that song stuck in my head. The closest I've come to this is both moving to Colorado and then moving away from Colorado. Although it was our choice, the drastic change in life was rather difficult for me, both times. I hope you continue doing this in some way shape or form, you are very creative and talented and I love seeing you at work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sasha, for your encouragement. You're one up on me with the moving thing. I've never moved far from home and can't even imagine how difficult that would be. You, my friend, are brave!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Denise. I'm glad you were encouraged.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!