Thursday, June 7, 2012

The One Scary Thing

There has been a recurring theme for me lately. Do the scary thing! 
Look that scary thing smack in the face and conquer it by getting it over with. 


The one scary thing for me is to form (or perhaps more accurately, form again) the habit of writing every day. I used to write every day, but haven't for some time now. No excuses, just got out of the habit. So, why is it scary to start again?


As a kid I was on the swim team at our YMCA, but I can remember some mornings sitting in the parking lot with my mom waiting for me to hop out of the car because I was scared to go in. Or, there was the time I was invited to go play at a friend's, but was scared to walk there because between me and her house was a backhoe working in another yard along the way. Speaking in front of a group of people was terrifying , but I had to do it in school.


All of these situations have something in common. Once I got there I was okay. I loved swimming with the team. My friend and I had a great time playing together. I actually found that I was pretty good at public speaking and began to enjoy it. There are so many more examples.


So, what exactly is so scary to me about writing every day? What is the fear? This list is probably going to be pretty lame, but here goes.

  1. I don't know what to write about.
  2. My husband's going to complain I'm spending too much time at the computer.
  3. People won't like what I have to say - or worse yet, they won't even care.
  4. I'm not any good.
  5. It's going to take too much time and I'll get behind on my "real work." (Whatever that is!)
  6. Why am I doing this, anyway?
  7. ......Okay, enough of this. It IS pretty lame, isn't it?
I have answers to all of these.

  1. Write about anything that comes to mind.
  2. Actually talk to my husband about why I am doing this. He'll understand. Surely. :-)
  3. Who cares?
  4. Oh, I'm alright.
  5. There are probably a few things I could cut from my schedule to make room for writing.
  6. Because I am a writer.
Here is the plan. I will write every day. The challenge is to get up earlier and write in the morning. To be honest, I've never tried that before. Nighttime has always been my preference, but there are so many excellent reports from people who claim morning is the best time, I'm going to give it a try. There may not be a blog post every day, but you can be sure there will be more posts if I'm writing every day. This will be incentive for me to get those projects rolling so I'll have some things to show you.

I started this blog because I wanted a reason to write again. The new house and yard gave me the desire to write again. Am I really a DIY'er? I wasn't before, but I am becoming one. Thanks to so many other great blogs I've been reading, I have a list of ideas a mile long. 

There are still projects to start; some that need to be finished. 
There is life to be lived and good to be done. 
There are words to write and people to encourage.

I am grateful for the challenge.


I sought the LORD, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 34:4 NASB


I am linking with:
The One Thing Scary Challenge via Funky Junk Interiors - make your dreams come true!

Great Writers Initiate Badge


4 comments:

  1. You are a good writer! your blogs about the house are totally captivating that it makes me want to DIY (or would that be DMY?) keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i don't know about everyone else, but i love your writing, because you are a writer, and you are good. i am thankful that you write, because your writing is encouraging, inspiring and challenging. challenging because like this, you admit your struggle, but then how to go about getting past it. i'm doing a similar project with photography (except we are doing a photo a week instead of a photo a day like the list suggests)... and i haven' done it in weeks. partly because i'm lazy, and partly because i'm scared. so i guess now i'm motivated to just do it again. thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sasha, post the photos from your challenge on your blog! (Don't forget the watermark, though.) You have an amazing photographer's eye and a God-given perspective that is only Sasha. Do it!! You have something important to share!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!