Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Starting Ugly

Writing challenge: Day 7 - Great Writers Start Ugly


Great Writers StartAck! Is there any doubt? That's why I hate starting, because it's ugly. The process is brutal and puts one on a whole new level of vulnerability.

Hello! This is me starting something new. 
Please pardon my mess whilst I figure out exactly what it is I am doing.

  • Writing projects are messy. Page after page of handwritten notes get scribbled through and rewritten.
  • Remodeling projects are messy. Deconstruction must happen before reconstruction.
  • Personal projects are messy. Day-to-day gets backed up while making way for change.


I have seen the painful labor and exertion and miserable business which God has given 
to the sons of men with which to exercise and busy themselves. 
Ecclesiastes 3:10 AMP

Why, oh why, do I put myself through it? Because I can't help it. I have to start. We are made to start. Our Creator God made us creative, gives us ideas, and compels us to start. I don't know about you, but I'm most  unsatisfied when I'm not starting something I've been told to start. (Sorry - I've just said start a ridiculous number of times in one very small paragraph. See? Ugly, right?)

But God...

He has made everything beautiful in its time. 
He also has planted eternity in men’s hearts and minds 
[a divinely implanted sense of a purpose working through the ages 
which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy], 
yet so that men cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 AMP


I am eternally grateful that God, Who tells me to get moving, also sees me through each and every step. It gets beautiful over time. He is faithful to His promises and He will do it.

I know that there is nothing better for them than to be glad 
and to get and do good as long as they live.
Ecclesiastes 3:12 AMP


Kind of makes the ugly part of starting seem beautiful, doesn't it?

Well, almost.


Linking to Word Filled Wednesdays and

 

7 comments:

  1. I so remember writing years ago - before the computer was an everyday tool -- Writing was physically messy, ink on the hands, hundreds of pieces of crumpled paper and the typewriter really didn't help much. Yes, writing is messy for many reasons but when God is in control somehow He puts it all together beautifully :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And sometimes I still prefer to get out my notebook and pen to lay down some words. Almost seems more personal than seeing them come across the screen. Thank you for stopping by today!

      Delete
  2. That brutal tug-of-war between doing and resting.
    I too am wired to plan, plan, plan. And then never finish, finish, finish.( I feel like anyway).
    The world calls it ADD (this week anyway, probably calling it something else tomorrow).
    But you are right in sharing Ecclesiastes. Its all this doing and toiling and planing that leaves us tired, that shows us our need for God's Spirit to make our ugly efforts beautiful in His time.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your thoughts and I too share in your frustration, at times :-)

    Enjoying your site so I'm nominating you for my Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ ... Either way, hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!