Friday, December 16, 2011

Cabinets and Kitties

The long-awaited cabinet update is here!

When I posted last I had stripped and restained the lower cabinets
and was ready to tackle some doors to see if they would match.

Well, they didn't.  Take a look.


Three doors.  Three colors. Three kinds of splotchy.

As you can see from the door on the far left, they seemed to strip down fine, 
but they didn't take the stain uniformly.
My son-in-law, a cabinet maker, said that since they weren't protected
with a clear coat they've had years of fingerprints, grease splatters and
spilled water, etc. that could affect how they receive the stain.

I moved on to Plan C and bought this.

Source
I chose the Dark Color Kit in Cabernet.


Here's my workspace.  
Every door and drawer cover was laid out so I could do them all at once.  


It was a long process with multiple steps, but it wasn't hard and I love the results.

And you ready for the big reveal?

Here's a reminder of how it looked before.....


And today it looks like this....



Ta Da!


I love the richness and depth of the color.


Another great thing is that you can still see the texture of the woodgrain.


The glaze that is applied after the bond coat adds variety to the finished color.
I am extremely happy with the results of this kit and would call it
the next best thing to stained wood.

The kitchen is still a work in progress.  I will be adding a backsplash and we need to paint,
but I think we'll move in and have Christmas first.  :-)  

Here's a couple more fun things that happened this week.

The new outdoor kitties moved in.  They are staying in the loft of the shed.


Isn't this a handsome little guy?  His name is Clyde.


The little girl kitty wouldn't sit still for a portrait, so we caught her in action.
She is Bonnie.  (You saw that coming, didn't you?)


Pretty soon Clyde discovered the opening in the bass drum.


It didn't take them long to decide it would make a cozy nest for them to sleep.


Nighty, night Bonnie and Clyde.


Silas has started working on their little outdoor house.

Yesterday, I had the piano movers out to pick up & deliver our old upright grand.


This was given to me by my Grandma and Grandpa.  
It was in the house they purchased in the early 1940's.
Mom tells me it used to be painted black, but Grandpa refinished it.
It was built in 1903 (or was it 1905?), and I can't remember the manufacturer.
At any rate, it is a treasure to me and my family.

That's the latest!
Moving Day tomorrow.  I need to get packin'!

Have a wonderfully blessed weekend!

9 comments:

  1. You must be thrilled about how those cabinets turned out! They look nice! Praying for excellent weather and a smooth moving day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THey look AMAZING! i love it! i can't believe all the work you put into those cabinets, so glad to finally see a good outcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the new look kitchen looks amazing my friend.Sending you special wishes for a very Merry Christmas and look forward to keeping in touch in 2012.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice.

    Follow you via Mingle With Us.

    http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the kitchen makeover looks great! And the kitties are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cabinet make over is amazing! That color is so rich (and expensive) looking! It doesn't even look like the same room. Those kittens are adorable! The little boy looks like my kitty Rita. I'm a new follower via Mingle With Us Blog Hop.

    I'm cohosting a Link party this week at my blog Chickenscratchny.blogspot.com I would love it if you would stop by and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the cabinets! I so want to do that to my kitchen! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope your cabinet re-do goes smoothly.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to read and join the conversation. I love hearing from you!